Friday, April 29, 2011

Vintage, with a Touch of Contemporary

If you know me, you know that creating a project with a vintage style is something I really have to work at. For my April Stamp Class I tried to create vintage projects, only to realize that even when they have a vintage feel, contemporary always manages to creep it's way in. See the clean, geometric layout? Hee hee, I guess that's just the way I do vintage, with a touch of contemporary! Here are two of the projects we completed at my April Stamp Class.

For the card we used three embossing folders on Basic Black and Very Vanilla card stock- Vintage Wallpaper, Finial Press, and Elegant Lines. Here's a tip when using these folders on Very Vanilla or Whisper White card stock: mist the paper lightly with water or alcohol just before you emboss to get a deeper impression and to avoid tearing your card stock. We punched the squares out using the 1 1/4" Square Punch and adhered the embossed pieces using Tombo Multipurpose Glue - the one in the green bottle. It's fabulous and most cost effective than using Snail, plus it won't smoosh the embossed texture out of your card stock when you apply it.

We sponged the egdes and the embossed designs lightly in Chocolate Chip Classic ink on the Vanilla card stock as well as on the First Edition DSP. On the Black card stock we sponged in Very Vanilla Craft ink. To make the flower, we used the Fancy Flower punch, misted it with water, then scrunched it up. An Antique Brad completes the vintage look.

For the scrapbook layout we used my puzzle die with my Big Shot Pro machine.

Again, we embossed using the Vintage Wallpaper, Finial Press, and Elegant Lines folders.

Layering the smaller photo corners in the 1st Edition paper over the larger photo corners in Black card stock (both punched with the photo corner punch) ties it all together.

This Black tafetta ribbon is gorgeous and has a vintage feel.

Here we layered a label from the Matchbox Die on a punched Decorative Label.

The Cogs punch seemed to match the old-timey feel, especially when paired with another Antique Brad. The rosette was made by scoring a 1/2" x 12" piece of 1st Edition DSP at every 1/4", then accordian folding it. We used Tombo Multipurpose glue (green bottle) to sandwich it between two 3/4" circles.
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Place for Everything...

My team just had our first monthly downline meeting and this is what we made for our make and take. I was inspired by Lisa Takeuchi's Top Note Dresser over at her blog, Stamping Hut.

We made ours using Pacific Point card stock and Stampin' Up!'s new "Beyond the Garden" designer series paper from the upcoming Summer Mini catalog. You can get your own pack starting this Sunday, May 1st. The sentiment is from the new set "Fabulous Florets" also found in the Summer Mini. The handles are Stampin' Up!'s Glimmer Brads and the flower on top was stamped in Pacific Point ink onto Shimmery White card stock.

To make the top and bottom of the dresser we attached Pacific Point card stock to some of the white cardboard that comes in your pack of designer series paper, then ran them through the Big Shot together using the Top Note die. This is a great chance to try out our Big Shot Adhesive Sheets to get great dhesive coverage from edge to edge with no goop.

The drawers were made using the Matchbox Die. After we assembled the four drawers, we stuck the sleeves together with Sticky Strip and used Snail adhesive to attach 1 7/8" x 5/8" pieces of the DSP (designer series paper) to the draer fronts. A quick punch with teh 1/16" hole punch allowed us to attch our handles (brads) and we were done. This would make an adorable gift with some Hershey's nuggets wrapped in matching DSP tucked away inside the drawers. It's also a great place to store brads or other small crafty items.

P.S. The ribbon is from Stampin' Up!'s Clearance Bin, which always has some great deals. You can order from the Clearance Bin only on an individual Customer Order, not on a Workshop Order (with multiple customers).
Posted by Picasa